The FTTx Splicer Specialist course will provide learners with the benefits of working with fiber to the premises (FTTP)/FTTx and Fiber Deep (Node + 0) networks to service cable customers. Learners will be able describe the types of passive optical networks (PON) used by cable operators and differentiate these networks from an HFC and Fiber Deep access network. The course also addresses the topics fiber prep, fusion / mechanical splicing, fiber cleaning and testing.
Included in the Course
- Engaging and Interactive LightningMod™ to prepare learner for training
- In-depth interactive eBook modules
- Apply module knowledge with real life experiences in a simulated environment; 3 NetworkSim modules included
- Module assessments
- Course final exam
- Fun VirtuGame® to improve absorption and retention of competencies
Requirements for Successful Course Completion
- Module quizzes 70% or higher
- Course final test 70% or higher
You may take the course final test up to 3 times.
Format and Schedule
The course is delivered online via the SCTE virtual classroom, or it may be completed in 2 days (16 hours) as an onsite.
Online learners interact with web-based course materials and complete assessments (quizzes & final exam) at a time that is convenient for them. Learners may also contact the instructor when they have questions.
SCTE recommends learners spend approximately 2 - 3 hours per week over a 12-week period, on average, completing the various course activities in order to maximize the learning benefits. 100% of the schedule is determined by the learners (interacting with online materials, completing quizzes, taking NetworkSim modules and a final exam).
- Fiber Splicers
- Customer Facing Installers & Technicians
- Service Technicians
- Maintenance Technicians
- Outside Plant Personnel
- Plant Technicians
- Field Operation Teams
- Network Operation Center and related positions
- SCTE Understanding Cable Technology or equivalent
- SCTE Broadband Premises Installation or SCTE Broadband Distribution Specialist
- SCTE Coax Splicer Specialist
Upon Successful Completion
- SCTE Course Completion Certificate
- 2 Recertification Units (RUs) toward SCTE certification renewal